Thursday, June 18, 2009

Osawa's Lake - 14 June 2009

I have been lazy, the post has taken longer than expected!

On a beautiful Sunday afternoon, I decided to take the Vespa for a nice drive through an area I had discovered a couple of weeks before.

One of my favourite areas to ride through is the road leading from Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion), past Rioanji and Ninaji Temple. If you follow this further along heading south west to wards Saga, you will come across Osawa's Lake.





The lake is in the middle of nowhere and you will find it surrounded by Rice fields. Around the shallows of the lake and the surrounding rice fields, many kids are in the water catching what us Australians call Yabbies, or the Americans might call Craw fish. I don't know what they do with them once they are caught because they seem remarkably small, but it looks like a lot of fun.
Surrounding Osawa's Lake, is a specially designated historical area where some previous Emperors of Japan are entombed. I had never known this and its certainly not on the tourist route, but I think its quite amazing you can get so close to some of the former emperors, dating back to when Kyoto was the capital of Japan.

I couldn't find much information on the lake, but here is a little. Its a great place to visit and rest: http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/osawa-ike

No comments:

Post a Comment